Kelham Island

Kelham Island is one of the oldest industrial sites in Sheffield, the museum stands on a man-made island over 800 years old. The island was formed in the 1180s when a goit or millrace was created to carry water from the River Don to the Town Corn Mill, near Lady’s Bridge. A short stretch of the goit still exists today and runs alongside the museum site, the Town Corn Mill which it powered further downstream no longer stands.

In the 1800s, industries began to spring up in the Kelham area and Kelham Island itself became a host for all kinds of manufacturers. In 1829, John Crowley bought land on the island and built a small iron foundry called Kelham Iron Works where he made all kinds of iron products – bicycles, corn grinders, lawn mowers as well as decorative items before moving his successful business to larger premises at Meadow Hall in 1870.

In the 1890s the site was bought by the City. The Iron Works buildings were demolished and an electricity generating station was built in their place, to provide power for the City’s new tram system. The power station was in operation until the 1930s, after which the buildings were used as storage space and workshops. These buildings now house the collections, displays and workshops of Kelham Island Museum.

Kelham Island Museum was opened in 1982 to house the objects, pictures and archive material representing Sheffield’s industrial story. The displays at the Museum tell that story from the “Little Mester” to mass production, skilled workers, revolutionary processes, quality products, invention and innovation.

Address: Kelham Island Museum, Alma Street, Sheffield, South Yorkshire S3 8RY, UK

© Fright Nights - The Original Ghost Hunting Company

social network